Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I see ants or woodpeckers constantly working on my tree. Is this a problem which should be remedied by chemicals?

A: Insects like ants or birds such as woodpeckers should not be treated as pests. They are present in your trees life due to the presence of dead or decaying wood. When you see these creatures, they are eating the dead or decaying wood and removing it from your tree naturally. This being said, if there is enough deadwood present in your tree, it will eventually become less structurally sound and require action.

Q: My tree is getting too tall for my yard. Can you cut off the top to reduce its overall size?

A: Topping trees is not good practice and something we do not do as it invites infection and pests which will ultimately kill your tree in the long run. We can reduce the crowns thickness  by thinning it & reduce the crown correctly with precision cuts.

Q: My tree is getting pretty big for my I require anything in order to have it removed?

A: Trees that have a greater than 30 centimeter diameter at breast height (DBH) for inner city, wards 7 through 18 or 50 cm for outer city, wards 1-4, 6, 22, 23 must have a City of Ottawa permit to remove called a Distinctive Tree Permit. Additional charges apply and would be subject in your quotes. Wards 5, 19, 20 & 21 are considered rural areas and do not require a permit for any tree.

Q: What if I get my tree removed without a required permit?

A: Depending on your location within the city, removing a tree greater than 30 cm or 50 cm DBH is not recommended as the city can fine you and the person who removed the tree up to $100,000.

Q: How do I know if my front yard tree is mine or belongs to the city?

A: You can fill out a request to the City of Ottawa: Once you have submitted a request, the City will advise you accordingly.

Q: My tree is located on my property but overhangs a city sidewalk on a busy street. Is there anything I need in order to have this tree removed or pruned?

A: Trees which require us to block or encroach on City of Ottawa property or roads with no parking or no stopping will require permits such as road encroachment and closure permits, Book 7 for workers & pedestrians and these would carry additional charges.

Q: Do you have insurance?

A: Yes, I have liability insurance which covers up to $2,000,000 (Commercial properties are covered to $5,000,000). You should always ensure you hire a company with adequate insurance. If you are unsure, you should ask to see their documentation. Legitimate companies who have insurance will be able to provide you this paperwork.